iRefer is a useful tool developed by the Royal College of Radiologist, containing guidelines for making the best use of a clinical radiology. The guidelines are aimed at clinicians, radiologists, radiographers and other healthcare professionals to determine the most appropriate imaging procedures for a wide range of clinical problems and to help clinicians to meet their obligations under the Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations (IRMER). It also explains radiation governance and what the radiation dose reference levels are for each examination.
How iRefer can help you
- Helps you quickly select safe and effective investigations for your individual patients
- Points you to the choice of investigations for a given condition
- Ensures that the most appropriate imaging test is conducted at the right time which can have a major impact on healthcare provision more widely
- Promotes uniform and best care for patients
- Reduces the number of unhelpful or repeat investigations
- Supports rapid diagnosis, which can shorten patient management pathways
- Protects the patient by avoiding unnecessary ionising radiation
- Ensures that resources are used efficiently and effectively to avoid waste and promote a sustainable service.